Monday, March 23, 2009

Words

I've been reading this book called Satisfy My Thirsty Soul by Linda Dillow with the gals in my house church. It's about bowing every part of our lives in worship to the Lord. This week we are reading about bowing our words. There are so many words in scripture that teach us to be encouragers, uplifters, life givers, to build others up rather than tear them down. I quote these verses to my children all the time, but do, I myself, model them and meditate on them? I've been thinking about this alot this week. I have been paying more attention to my words. The Lord has been gently reminding me that "a gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger." (Proverbs 15:1) I have seen a huge difference when I own these words God has given me as an effective tool for living and loving others and when I choose to not listen to them. Especially with my husband and children. Most often, it's not necessarily the words themselves, but how I say them. I've been humbled to really come before the Lord and ask Him to convict me in the moment when my tone with any of them is sarcastic or harsh. I haven't listened every time, but I have seen Him answer this prayer and plea for a change of heart. It's amazing how a situation can be changed in just one moment by the way in which we choose to speak our words. Every word we say is a choice. It can either encourage or tear down. I hope and pray mine encourage more than they tear down (I've got a long way to go!)! The Proverbs are full of wisdom concerning our words. I need to commit more of those to memory and ask the Lord to bring them to mind often! I think it's easier to encourage those that we aren't as close with. It's those that are closest to us, or at least for me, that seem to be where I struggle the most.

1 comment:

VerWaynia said...

Thanks for the reminder!
Oh, and and please pass along any more info you have about the soccer program - it sounds great!