Sunday, December 13, 2009

Weekend Activities

What a fun, jam-packed weekend we had! Friday, I went out with all the single people to see Rob Bell. I mention that I was with single people, b/c they wanted to go out AFTER the show ended at 10:30! I held up quite nicely, I think, getting my second wind about 10:40. :-) It was a really good time and he had lots of good things to say. He's a Christian author/speaker. Very motivational and real. Really makes you think. He talked about how struggles bring people together and allow God to peal away at all of our layers to get to the root of who we really are-who God created us to be. When our tomorrow doesn't turn out the way we thought it would, will we say "why?" and choose to live in the sorrow or frustration or say, "OK, this is. What now?" and choose to find a way to live with the hope that comes from God. It's such a tough thing. I thought about my dad alot and just how much I miss him. There's such a void in my life without him. Did I mention that I miss him like crazy and think about him all the time? I'm actually glad that I do and that the girls talk about him, too. Carolyn remembers so much about him, it's amazing. She was so little when he died.
Other things we did this weekend. :-) Breakfast with Santa on Saturday at the YMCA. Now, I'm sure you all know that we choose not to celebrate Santa in our house, but the kids still think it's fun to pretend. On the way, Carolyn told Sarah and Barrett what they should say and how it was all going to go down. When we got there, they were more than willing to sit near him. I'm not sure they said anything, though. Carolyn wasn't going anywhere near him, which is exactly what she did last year!

We also visited a very large, child-sized gingerbread house at the Union of Purdue University. The kids LOVED that and even got to snag a couple pieces of candy from it.




They spent the night at my mom's so Steve and I could go to his company holiday party. It's always fun to get dressed up and go hang out with his co-workers. He really does work for a great company.

Sunday, we went to a live nativity here in town with some friends. It was an excellent show with dancing ballerinas and angels AND it was indoors-which made it even better! Real live donkeys and camels-which are HUGE by the way! We all had a wonderful time, but are ready for some rest and to get back into the daily grind tomorrow. Only one more week of school for the girls before Christmas break!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Can i just say, I am so thankful for your blog. I LOVE reading about your activities and seeing all the pics. thank you thank you thank you!!! sorry i lost you yesterday, i'll call you today. Big Love. xooxoxox

Nikki Keever said...

I thought about trying to go to Rob Bell. Big fan. Great man. Thanks for sharing about your holiday hoopla. I'm always sorry to see the holidays end.