Sunday, May 16, 2010

Grace

The book I just read had a line that struck me: "Most people aren't trying to hurt anybody...they are just trying to get by." (Lisa Wingate) We're all broken. We all have a story. We all need grace. I recently ran into two of the three homeless people, Lisa and Sam, that we have befriended over the past few years. They were buying milk at Walgreens. They didn't see me and I almost didn't say anything. How silly! Why would I not say "hello"? So, I said hi and they remembered how they knew me and how long it had been since I'd seen them. Apparently, the people of Walgreens take good care of them and they come in there frequently. Lisa asked me for my phone number. I hestitated, then gave it to her. She said she'd call me just to see how we are doing. I'm thinking, "Oh, no! What have I done? What if they figure out where we live and steal all our stuff??" Seriously?? What was I thinking? They aren't out to hurt me, they just want to be known and to feel loved. She left and told me that God loves me. I was telling Carolyn about it because she asks about them from time to time, and her response was, "Great! Now, they can call us and come over for dinner!" I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. What am I so afraid of? Everyone is broken. Everyone has a story. Everyone needs grace. Everyone.

2 comments:

adamswifey said...

it's funny - where we live now, we have lots of homeless folks sleeping in front of our house and walking around our place all the time. lots of them pop in at our church on sundays. we've had several of them over for dinner - and i was quite nervous the first time too. but every time - it has been a delightful experience. i'll never forget those dinners.
you are doing the right thing. and, apparently, raising your children to be benevolent as well.

Andrea Moberly said...

Why is it that what is unfamiliar becomes scary?! I struggle with the same things. I love how open you are to God, Alison!