Saturday, April 30, 2011

Door Knobs and Light Bulbs

Our kids insist on locking their doors, much to our dislike. I just don't think they need that much privacy at their young ages. The other day, after a slight candy binge, they all decided to lock themselves in the bathroom together. It took them a minute to let me in. Then, Carolyn and Barrett both locked their bedroom doors, after we once more had the discussion on not locking doors. So, instead of another lecture, I took their doorknobs off. They were NOT happy! I couldn't get the middle part off of Barrett's door and ended up locking us both in his room before I figured out how to use the screwdriver to twist it and get us out! Later that day, I found the girls' light on, once again, with no one in it. So, I took the lightbulbs out. I had told them I was going to do that if they kept leaving their light on. I did forget to tell them I took them out, though. So, that night, I wasn't here for bedtime. When Steve went upstairs, he said, "What happened to the doorknobs and lightbulbs?" Perhaps I overreacted, but I don't think they'll be leaving their lights on anymore, and we found doorknobs that don't lock.

4 comments:

Andrea Moberly said...

that's not over-reacting at all! I bet it made an impression :)

adamswifey said...

good mom! keep that up. :)

Tenney Crew said...

a lady after my own heart :) I'm gonna do the same and Grace is stubborn enough to see if I will.

megs92 said...

What a clever solution! I'm so impressed with how you didn't let the situation frustrate you, but used it as a teaching moment instead. Perhaps those push-locks were more temptation than they could handle ;)