Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Jesus feeds the people of Johnson County and then some

Yesterday, I had the opportunity to be a part of something I think is just amazing. I'm almost afraid to say anything, because everyone will want to do it! But, I guess that's the point. :-) Every other Tuesday, in Franklin, IN, there is a massive organic food giveaway! FREE FOOD and it's all from a national health food store. Anyone can come and partake. It's amazing. It's all good. It's just overage from the warehouse that they used to throw away before this local church took over and made sure it got to people who could use it. It's called "Tuesday's Miracle" and a miracle it is. It's a bit time-consuming. We were in Franklin all day, but we also got to spend lots of time with a dear friend, so that was an added bonus. There's lots of waiting, but it's worth it, I think. The girl who told me about it said it was like Jesus feeding the 5,000-there's always enough. As I was waiting in line, I was watching just cart loads of food continue to come out of this warehouse. It seemed as though there was an endless supply. I found myself hoping for certain things or thinking, "what if I spent all day here and I don't get anything?" Jesus reminded that it was free and that I shouldn't be picky! I also thought of how this is probably the way it works in some countries; people wait in line for hours for their rations. They get what they get and make it work-if they even get anything. It reminded me to be thankful that we have so many options and can pretty much get what we want food-wise, even on a budget. I was so blessed by the experience. Sure, there was LOTS of healthy food for my family and it will certainly help our budget, but I also got an opportunity to see God's goodness and how He always provides. Sometimes, we just have to talk to people and let them know what's available. One woman told me she's been laid off for 6 months and this ministry has helped put food on her table. I'm sure there are lots of stories like that! Amazing! One funny story to end on: I told you there was lots of waiting and being in the car. The kids did great with it, but at one point, when we were almost done, Sarah REALLY, REALLY had to go potty! What was I to do but put her in one of Barrett's diapers and tell her to go! She thought that was hilarious and actually went along with it! I thought it was gross, but she thought it was pretty cool. Wouldn't you know that as soon as I let her do that and we turned the corner, there was a bathroom? Oh, well. It made for a funny ending to a long day!

2 comments:

John Hanscom said...

Dear Ms. Hanscom

I thought you might want to know there is another "Hanscom Family 'Blog," and, ironically, though I have been in Alaska since 1975, I was born in Indianapolis [Methodist Hospital] and lived in Broad Ripple until the 4th Grade. Anyway, if you're interested:

http://www.hanscomfamily.com/

John Hanscom

Unknown said...

Cool story!!! you continue to amaze me at how resourceful you are!! Finding ways to save for your fam, and all the neat things you expose your kiddos to...i only hope i can be as good at this mom role as you!!